Wednesday 12 November 2014

Crustless caramelised onion & spinach Quiche






It's been ages since I've done a homemade quiche so a few weeks ago I tried one out using generally what I already had in, but also my favourite quiche ingredients when buying any from the shop.
They are relatively straight forward to make and generally a good people pleaser, so fingers crossed it would go down well with my little fussy eater!

I opted for caramelised onion and spinach quiche. I have to be honest I'm not overly keen on the flavour of cooked Spinach but I love it raw so I used dried frozen spinach and a few fresh leaves on top.
I did cheat a bit to save time and used pre-made pastry but I am including a recipe for short crust pastry if you'd like to make it yourself.

Recipe

Ingredients:

For the short crust pastry:
  • 100g butter
  • 200g flour
  • 2tbsp water

For the Filling:
  • 5 medium eggs
  • 1 carton of single cream
  • 115ml semi skimmed milk
  • 200g grated mild or medium cheddar cheese 
  • 1 small white onion
  • Half a bag of frozen spinach
  • Approx 10 cherry tomatoes
  • Small amount of veg oil (for onions)
  • 1 1/2 tsp sugar (for onions)
  • 1/2 tsp salt (for onions)
  • Seasoning (I used salt, pepper and ground garlic)



Method:
  • Preheat oven to 200oc
  • Make the short crust pastry
  • Roll out and fit to dish. Blind bake for 10 minutes.
  • Thinly slice the onions and fry them gently in small amount of veg oil. When they start to soften add sugar and salt. Heat until softened and gently browned.
  • Whisk the eggs, cream and milk together.
  • Dry off spinach between pieces of kitchen towel.
  • Grate cheese and add to mixture. We also sprinkled some on the base.
  • Slice cherry tomatoes and arrange on pastry base.
  • Add spinach and onions into the quiche dish.
  • Add the egg mixture to the dish.
  • Cook for 40 minutes at 180oc

We had our warm with salad, it was lovely and it was a hit with my fussy eater too!










5 comments:

  1. That looks delish! Today is my fasting day...so I'll have to wait till tomorrow to try it out though. :( Hope you're having a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks yummy! I will save this recipe, thank you for sharing. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh this looks very yummy, have pinned it and will have to give it a try :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah Thank you Sue, Melody and Louise :) and thanks for commenting xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious, I will need to try it!

    ReplyDelete