|Please excuse the seriously dodgy photo!|
In case you can't tell what it is from the shockingly bad photo (he only one that came out visible thanks to bad lighting and no proper camera) it's a lovely vegetarian cottage pie!
It tasted lovely so that's the main thing!
- Bag of veggie mince (I used Asda's own, I'm not keen on Quorn mince)
- 4 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 large courgette (or other veg of your choice)
- Frozen peas
- 1 diced red onion
- Thinly sliced garlic
- Half tin chopped tomatoes
- 1tbsp tomato puree
- Pint of vegetable stock
- 2tbsp soy sauce
- 2tbsp vegetarian gravy granules (used to thicken as I didn't have any corn flour).
- Salt, pepper, various herbs for seasoning
- 1 1/2 tbsp margarine
- 2tbsp soya milk
- Approx 900g potatoes
- Preheat oven to 180c
- Peel, slice then boil the potatoes until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Whilst the potatoes are boiling, peel and chop the onion and garlic and fry in oil in saucepan until gently softened. Peel, chop and add carrots.
- Chop and add courgette or other veg to pan.
- Add the veggie mince, peas and vegetable stock, stir then allow to simmer.
- Add the tomato puree, tin tomatoes, seasoning, soy sauce and gravy granules. Allow to simmer and continue to stir.
- When sauce thickened and carrots soft enough, pour into large oven proof dish.
- Mash the potatoes with the milk and margarine until smooth and fluffy. Add seasoning. Spread over the veggie mince then smooth over with a fork.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes until the topping is crisp. I could have done with leaving mine to cook for a few more minutes but I had a hungry child to feed!
I would say mine would serve 8 to 10 depending on portion sizes. Serve with extra veg.....carrots, peas...what ever you fancy.